Making gluten-free sourdough discard pancakes is an easy way to reduce waist while taking your pancakes to the next level. When feeding your sourdough starter, you often discard a portion of it to maintain its vitality. Instead of tossing this “discard” away, incorporating it into your pancake batter tints your pancakes with the distinctive tanginess of sourdough while minimizing waste – a win-win situation. Because pancakes are flat, they are the perfect food to incorporate your discard with. You can use discard that you just removed from your starter that day or pull some right out of the fridge to use.
Why You Should Try Gluten-Free Sourdough Discard Pancakes:
- Flavor Fusion: The tanginess of the sourdough discard brings a unique depth of flavor to your pancakes that traditional recipes can’t replicate.
- Waste Reduction: By using your sourdough discard, you’re reducing food waste and making the most out of your sourdough baking endeavors.
- Gluten-Free Feasting: If you’re on a gluten-free diet, these pancakes offer a wonderful alternative to traditional pancakes without sacrificing taste or texture.
- Culinary Creativity: Experiment with different gluten-free flours and add-ins to create a pancake variation that suits your taste preferences.
- I typically use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour. It’s available on Amazon. Pancakes can be pretty versatile so most other gluten-free flour blends would likely work just fine.
- Click here for how I made my sourdough starter.
- This recipe will also work wonderfully with active sourdough starter.
Gluten-Free Sourdough Discard Pancakes
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking Flour)
- 1 cup sourdough discard
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine all of your ingredients in a bowl. It's ok if it is a little lumpy.
- Heat butter on a skillet.
- Scoop your pancake batter onto your skillet and flip your pancakes when the edges start to look dry and the tops have bubbles. Cook on the other sides 2-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your desired toppings!