Guest Post By Callum Mundine
Who says Vegan food can’t give your taste buds an explosion of gastronomic flavors? Whether you’re a meat-lover or a vegetarian, here’s a recipe for some sumptuous vegan lasagna that will win the hearts of everyone!
The best part? You don’t need to be a master chef to prepare it. Here’s how easy it is:
What you’ll need: (Serves up to 6)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 450 ml soy milk
- 50g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- cherry tomatoes (about 7), cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 cans chopped tomatoes (about 600g)
- a handful of basil, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp cashew butter
- 150 ml soy milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 zuccini, cut in thin slices
- 1 eggplant, cut in thin slices
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- coconut oil
- 1 sweet potato, cut into slices (4mm thick)
- lasagna sheets
- parsley or basil chopped
- nuts (almonds)
How to prepare:
- Start by preheating the oven to 200F.
- Prepare the tomato sauce. Heat up the oil then sauté garlic and onions until they’re golden brown. Stir in the tomato paste. Add cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, 100mL of water, and salt. Once it simmers, add basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until the consistency is thick.
- Prepare the Bechamel sauce. Heat coconut oil and add flour then stir. While slowly stirring, pour in ¼ soy milk until its consistency thickens. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Prepare the veggies. Heat an ample amount of coconut oil then sauté the garlic. Once the garlic turns golden brown, add the eggplant and zucchini. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare for the layering. Make sure your béchamel sauce is not too thick by heating it with water or soy milk, maintaining its creamy texture.
- Layer your 30cm x 18cm baking pan with pasta and tomato sauce. Repeat with pasta, béchamel sauce and sweet potato. Put pasta again, then some tomato sauce, zucchini, eggplant, pasta, and béchamel.
- Prepare the vegan cheese. Heat up some cashew butter, then add soy milk and stir. Add nutritional yeast, salt and oregano then keep stirring until it thickens.
- Spread the cheese all over the lasagna and bake for 30-35 minutes. Garnish with herbs and nuts. Enjoy your succulent creation with family and friends!
Author Bio: Callum is the head of content at burgercheese.com. They are an Australian based dairy product manufacturer that specializes in the B2B market. When he is not creating content online, he’s in the kitchen experimenting with different flavors and food combinations.